Friday, September 26, 2008

Our newest addition.

First a Picture

Now a Definition:
A cleft is a birth defect that occurs when the tissues of the lip and/or palate of the fetus do not fuse very early in pregnancy. A cleft lip, sometimes referred to as a harelip, is an opening in the upper lip that can extend into the base of the nostril. A cleft palate is an opening in the roof of the mouth.
(If you click on the picture it will enlarge and you can see it better.)

Since we are living on a farm the majority of my blogs will probably include the farm. I am not sure that this has ever happened on this farm before. I will have to research that. However, given the number of cattle that have crossed these pastures it was bound to happen sooner or later.

While this calf has a defect that will make eating a little more difficult for him than it is for others I believe that he will be a wonderful addition to the farm. Quite frankly...I think he is extremely cute! (Oh! The other cutie in the picture is farmer Dave......he is a great cattle catcher.....is that even a term?:-))

1 comment:

Melissa Munhall said...

I agree, he is very cute! Oh, and the cow ain't bad either!